Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Looking for a solution...looking for closure

It's been awhile since my last post. I would like to apologize to the readers for the long delay. I have been torn about the content of this post. Since my arrival back to the United States I have experienced a wide range of emotions due to my trip to Kayole, Africa and Majesterio, Mexico. I have dealt with denial, anger, sadness and probably the most intense feeling of all...guilt.

I have always been a believer in change, a believer of hope and opportunity. I wanted to use my filmmaking gift to "change" and "educate" the rest of the world. I wanted to bring it to your living rooms, local theaters and be a part of the solution, not the problem. For the past month or so, I have sat "idle" on my feelings and movement to find what is truth. What can we really accomplish in places like Majesterio, South America, Asia and Africa?What can we really accomplish here in the United States and Europe? I have allowed the ugly and traumatic events to cloud the direction I wanted to go in with this film. I have sat and reflected so much on my past personal experiences and my filming experiences. I carry the guilt of not being able to put in motion a solution, to help the people that I have committed to helping. I think about my friend Kris and how he was gunned down in the street for no reason at all, I think about the kids of Kayole, I worry for there future, their health and their safety. I think about Francisco, a young boy from Majesterio who lost his life to the very thing that is suppose to aide him in sustaining life...water. Francisco died by drowning. I play these events over and over in my head and I ask myself the same question everytime....WHY?

I share this with all of you for one reason....I still believe in a solution. If enough people put their heads together, I believe a solution can and will be found. The people that depend on Arrow Web Hospital, should and could have the proper health care they and all of us deserve. In order to reach that goal, the hospital and it's staff need the necessary equipment, facilities and training to accomplish this reachable goal. The staff at Arrow Web works with what they have to work with, which is not much. Babies are being born and the hospital has no incubators. However, they do the best to assist and help the patients that walk through the door everyday and night. I don't think that it is a far fetched idea that a new facility can and should be built. A facility with running water and guaranteed electricity, a facility with life saving equipment and a staff that is trained to use , help and save lives.

Perhaps society has cashed their ticket on the older generation, but my friends, this trend of poverty, sickness, no education and corruption CAN end if we reach out to the younger generation. It's not to late. Give them a ray of hope, give them a reason to change. We need to show them that we care, not just tell them. My mistake was thinking that a small crew and myself could march in and change the situation. When I realized we couldn't, the guilt set in. Friends, I refuse to give up hope that the world can and will be a better place. I believe that the people that society tends to forget or look past are a huge answer to creating a better place. Call me crazy, however I know this to be true. How you might ask?....I was once their myself.

To my friend Uzziel in Kayole, keep your head up my friend, straighten your back and proudly carry the load.

Contact Jennifer wells on more information regarding needed medical equipment for Arrow Web Hospital.

2 comments:

  1. Tiny steps, Wes! "It doesn't matter how slowly we go so long as we don't stop", besides the kids will take up the pace for us!
    I'm sincerely sorry for your loss of Kris and Francisco. There are no answers to "why"? but it does leave us in limbo until we can simply accept it happened, which you must, because the world has to keep turning and those kids need our help xx
    This article is incredible, thank you for taking the time to write it xx

    ReplyDelete