Sunday, September 20, 2009

First Impressions



From the time my plane landed in Nairobi, I knew that I had landed in a very special place. I was met at the airport by my guide and friend Bramuel, the director of Arrow Web Hospital. We started off with a traditional Kenyan lunch and headed over to the hospital so that I may see where I would be shooting for the next three weeks. When I arrived at Arrow Web, I was greeted by several kids and each one of them had their hand extended out to me with a huge smile asking me, "how are you?" It's no secret that I am an outsider and many instantly pegged me as an American. The people of Kayole know why I am here and they have made it a point to make me feel welcomed.

So far, one baby has been born at Arrow Web and I am told that many more will likely follow during my stay here in Kayole. I feel so far removed from my life in the States and for the next three weeks I hope it stays that way. I have made a decision to embrace the local traditions, customs and way of life during my stay here in Kayole. I feel it is the only way that I can truly understand and appreciate the daily lives of the people.

The streets of Kayole are filled with the laughter of children, the aroma of the street vendors that cook their dishes on an open wood fire pit, the banging of tools as the men fix, shape and build their homes and shops along the dirt roads of Kayole. The faces of Kayole are the faces of hope, compassion, believe and love. The stories can go on for ever, I hope to bring you just a few in hopes that we all can recognize what is important in our own lives, what is priority and why it is necessary to make the appropriate changes that we all know is needed to make our world a much better place for the kids. The road for these people and Arrow Web is a long and bumpy one, but it is a road that has already begun to be paved with the generosity of the international community, the staff of Arrow Web and the volunteers.

I still plan to post video blogs, I am having a few issues with my Internet connection out here, I appreciate your patience and look forward to hearing your feedback.

WlD

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up out there Wes! It's great to read and hear about all this. Hope all is well and keep us posted man. Remember to take lots of stills homie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you've arrived safely. Smiles and laughter from the children are universal signs that everythings going to be okay. I can't wait to hear about your progress there. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete