Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kwere


I met a man today at a site known as Kwere, a canyon that in many ways reflects the Grand Canyon located in Arizona. The difference between the two is the canyon in Kwere is not being shaped and sculpted by mother nature, it is in fact being shaped by the hand made hammers and hours upon hours of physical labor done by the men and woman that work here. From the top it is a very inspiring and magnificent site, but as you make the rocky, jagged decent down into the canyon, you begin to realize the painstaking work that has taken place in order to form this place. There are no machines, no trucks to haul the broken rocks up to the rim of the canyon, there is however, the sacks, buckets and the backs of the people.

Jackson, the young man I met and interviewed at Kwere is 23 years old, he had to give up his dream of becoming a boxer so that he may provide for his young family. During our conversation, Jackson was very open and held nothing back. He told me that he and the many other people that work here are in need of serious assistance. When we touched on the topic of living cost, I asked him how much does he spend a month on food to make sure he and his family eats well, his reply..."I can't answer that, I don't know what it is like to eat well". I then asked him if 100 usd dollars would be enough to feed his family for one month, his response..."nobody here spends that much money to buy food". You see, Jackson makes 5 usd every two weeks, those that are older and not as fit, make less.

This is one of many stories that I have encountered during my stay in Kayole. Times are severely tough here, but if you arrived here blindfolded with no knowledge of the area and it's poverty, you would never guess the horrible situation that is taking place here. The people are willing to share any and all of their possessions (including their food), with any outsider....even an American. The more and more time I spend here, the more I realize my purpose for being in Kayole. The people see me as an opportunity to be their voice and reach the outside world. Have I stepped in over my head? I don't think so, I don't pretend to think I can change the world, however I will do everything and anything to educate it on areas like Kayole, Soweto and Majesertio, MX.

You might be wondering what this story has to do with my film and Arrow Web Hospital. It's quite simple, without Arrow Web, people like Jackson can't get the basic medical attention that is needed. If he and the others are unable to get the aide, they can't work, if they do not work, they are not paid and they do not eat, not to mention their kids will never see the inside of a classroom. I should mention that Jackson has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. They become one of the many million who's story may make our media in the states right before the news breaks to cover a story about another overpaid actor or athlete that ordered steak and was delivered chicken, or how making 20 million dollars a year isn't enough to feed their families...we all know what a tragedy that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment