Sunday, September 13, 2009

Seattle to Nairobi

I'd like to start off by introducing myself, my name is Wes Downer, I am a documentary filmmaker from Seattle, Washington. On September 17 I leave the comfort of my own home in the states to travel to Kenya, Africa. The purpose of the trip is to document the area known as Kayole-Soweto, it's residence and the Arrow Web Hospital that treats and attends to it's 760,000 plus population.

My intentions are not to be the "story teller" nor the creator of stories, I will simply be the messenger. I plan to post video blogs to show the viewers exactly what it is I am doing and seeing on a daily basis. The residents of Kayole are in need of serious medical supplies, equipment and attention, it is my goal to produce enough visual evidence to see that this happens in hopes of gaining international support, both from the United States and the UK.

It is not important that people know who I am, but it is extremely important that they know what myself and the hundreds of other people are trying to do to bring much needed attention to this area of the world. I understand that Kayole-Soweto is not the only place in the world that needs international attention brought to the spot light, however it is where I will be and because of that, it is my primary focus. Poverty is an universal problem that effects every country and every type of person in existence. More and more people each day become one of the several millions that live life below the poverty line. Perhaps that is something that will never change, however, every single person deserves the basic "luxuries" of life such as the right to basic education, the right to change his or her current situation and the right to medical help. This documentary film is in no way a political statement, it is however an insight to a way of life that probably most you reading this, including myself will never have to experience. Knowing that, I believe we still have an obligation to help those that truly cannot help themselves. I hope you all follow the blog, I hope the people of Kayole are able to capture your hearts, as I am sure the will mine and I hope together we can find a solution to this problem whether it be in Africa, America , the UK or anywhere else in need of serious attention.

To see more photos of this experience, visit my facebook page under the name Wes Downer and I will post more pictures throughout my stay in Kenya.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Kenya and we wish you a happy stay and the BEST of luck in what you endeavor to do at Arrow web Hospital!
    Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you luck on your journey, Wes! We'll be following along eager for your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome to Africa hope all goes well for you and we will also be following you from Uganda.
    Paul Bulenzi Jinja

    ReplyDelete