Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Msungu


Msingu, or "white man" in English is what I am known as to the kids in Kayole. Everyday I arrive at the hospital I hear "msingu, msingu", It's not said in a derogatory manner, but instead the opposite. Everyday I am greeted with hand shakes from many people, curious as to what I am doing in their neighborhood and when I explain to them, they want to know why. My answer is easy...I care!

I was able to film several kids receive their measel shots, as you can imagine there was alot of scared kids that was followed by alot of crying. I usually have a hard time seeing children in any type of pain, but in this case I knew it was for the best...try telling that to them and they think your nuts! Another baby was born (that makes 3 in three days). I was able to film the surrounding area of Kayole-Soweto through the sunroof of a car. That's right, some how I was able to fit my camera and myself through the sunroof and film the streets of Kayole. I don't think I have ever had so many eyes on me at one time throughout the entire time we were shooting. Although Kayole is considered a slum, it is a functioning area that has many businesses of all sorts. It truly is an amazing site.

Daily life for me so far has been very interesting. One day you may have running water, the next day you may not. Internet access requires alot of patience and at times the electricity will be cut to preserve the power for the rainy season. Things that I have taken for granted in the States, I have quickly learned to appreciate while my stay in Kayole. I knew that this project was going to be a challenge, I just hope that I can deliver a product that will not only help the people of Kayole and the Arrow Web Hospital, but make them feel proud of who they are and where they come from. Although I am here to do a job, I want to and I need to interact with the people so that I may come away from this experience a better person than I was when I started it.

As I mentioned before, I am having issues posting a video blog, but I will continue to try so that you all may get a little glimpse into this beautiful culture and it's friendly people.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool Wes.

    What's the status of the education system where you are?

    Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Mike Msingu Mazur
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes i did try to get you through a buddy of mine from the Nation Newspapers called Justus Tharao who actually tried getting to you i think and trying to help with whatever you wanted and there was no response since he is doing the same thing as you .....my number remains the same if need be and yah i hope seeing you maybe Saturday or tomorrow since i will be free.....i will try and call you thru Bramuelś number...... let me know if there is anything you need,,,,,,,and yah this is Africa and thats the way life!

    ReplyDelete